What makes people look youthful is the quality of their skin … NIGELLA LAWSON. Your skin is a vital and the most looked at organ on your body and should be treated with care. My best skincare tips are:
- Rest: Seven to eight hours sleep a night makes your skin look radiant and better than any cream can.
- Diet: Drink plenty of water throughout the day to hydrate your skin [about six to eight glasses], and to cleanup your system, so that toxins don’t build up. Fruits, grains and vegetables keep blood moving through your skin. There is a clear connection between healthy skin and good circulation.
- Stay away from dehydrating elements such as alcohol and smoking: Monitor your alcohol consumption. For healthy skin, you should not drink more than three units per day. A large glass of wine at lunch or dinner is three units. After that, drink water. If you drink, choose red wine. Red wine is packed with antioxidants that will help keep your skin healthy and protect it against free radicals, but just one glass. If you are a smoker, get some help to give it up. The long term effects of excessive alcohol consumption and smoking on your skin, liver, kidneys, circulation, eyesight, teeth etc, are absolutely chronic.
- Exercise regularly: A good workout helps deliver oxygen and nutrients to your skin.
- Commit to an effective skincare routine: Cleanse, tone and moisturise your skin twice daily. The best thing you can do for your skin is to cleanse, tone and moisturise daily with a good set of skincare products that has been chosen to match your skin type by a beauty therapist or skin consultant. Scrub three times a week with a gentle face scrub. A gentle scrub with tiny grains removes the top layer of dead skin cells keeping your skin glowing. Use an appropriate face mask for deep cleansing once a week.
- Practice safe sun: Always wear a sunscreen – at least SPF 15 and higher if you will be spending time under strong sun. This will help prevent sunburn, wrinkles and skin cancer.
And last but most importantly,
- Dark chocolate and a good sex life: Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants that help protect your skin from free radicals and sends happy feelings to your brain. Finally, I have it on good authority that a good sex life regularly releases endorphins in your body that gives the skin a special glow that cannot be replicated by even the most advanced skin cream.